Impeach Trump Now
From Indivisible National Newsletter
Last week was an impeachment whirlwind! To recap, Trump has been accused by a whistleblower of engaging in an illegal quid pro quo when he asked Ukrainian leaders for “a favor”: interfere in our 2020 election by digging up dirt on his political opponents in exchange for millions of dollars in aid.
You jumped into action early in the week and made more than 12,000 calls to your members of Congress in a single day! These calls, along with months of hard work and sustained pressure during Impeachment August, laid the groundwork for a swift reaction and public calls for an impeachment inquiry by House Democrats.
On Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (FINALLY!) announced a formal impeachment inquiry into the president’s actions, and on Wednesday, the whistleblower complaint was released to the public — implicating not just Trump, but Attorney General Bill Barr and Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani.
In the last few days, we saw public opinion change as leadership finally got on board with what you’ve been demanding for months — impeachment inquiry now! In an effort to increase the pressure on members of Congress, we partnered with MoveOn, By the People, Public Citizen, SEIU, and more to create the Impeach Now coalition. We have two asks for our members of Congress: do your jobs and impeach Trump!
While most of Congress went on recess this week, the House Intelligence Committee listened to our calls to stay in Washington and work on the impeachment inquiry (YAY! Small wins!). Now it’s time for you to do what you do best — call, visit, and birddog your members of Congress on their home turf. We must get them on the record about an impeachment vote — and we fully expect to make this vote as painful and consequential as possible for Senate Republicans. That’s why we’re making sure that wherever our members of Congress go for recess, we’ll be there, holding them accountable.
Below, we have a whole bunch of to-dos centered around impeachment — because there’s still so much work to be done, and still so many members of Congress who haven’t felt the full force of their constituency. This week, attend a town hall, or host your own impeachment event. This Wednesday, we’ll be hosting a Facebook Live at 8pm ET on the current state of the impeachment fight. Tune in to hear from our policy experts and our digital team on how to get involved in the impeachment fight and help save our democracy!
Every day that Trump continues to stay in office is another day that he abuses, degrades, and threatens our nation. Just this weekend, Trump tweeted that if he were removed from office, it would start a Civil War, and he claimed that Rep. Adam Schiff, the Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, should be arrested for treason. So there’s that.
And now for your weekly to-dos:
Your impeachment to-dos
- Register for the National Activist Call this Thursday, Oct. 3 at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT. We’re going to cover the latest updates on the impeachment inquiry in the House, recap the Defund Hate week of action from September, and give you the latest on the Indivisible book — so make sure to tune in!
- Check out impeachnow.org to find or plan an event near you. Along with our partners in the Impeach Now coalition, we’re providing you with all the tools you need to keep the pressure high on your members of Congress to impeach Trump now for his crimes. Check out the website for more!
- Call your Representative and tell them that it’s time to impeach now. If your House Democrat is vocally in favor of impeaching Trump, make sure to thank them for their leadership. And if your House Democrat or Republican needs a little more pressure, remind them of their oath to the Constitution and tell them it’s time to find the truth and hold Trump accountable.
- Then, tell your Senators to support a fair and open impeachment trial. We can’t let Mitch McConnell play games with an impeachment trial in the Senate — the stakes for our democracy and our national security are too high. Tell your Senators to speak out in favor of a fair and open impeachment trial in the Senate that will help the American people find the truth about Trump’s offenses.
- And make sure to read our resource to answer all your impeachment-related questions. We’ve got lots of information about how the impeachment process works, why Trump is in hot water over the Ukraine scandal, and the strategy for making sure the impeachment process is fair and open, so make sure to read our resource for the latest!